Wednesday, March 25, 2015

3 Whys for Whimsical Wednesday~

I have a sweet homeschool BFF that I talk to every single day
and we have never met in person.

How can that be?

We have lots in common like adoption, big families, amazing husbands, believers, homeschooling moms...

We LOVE talking adoption and homeschooling.

If we need encouragement, we talk.
If we need to vent, we vent.
If we need prayer, we stop what we're doing right then and pray over each other.
If we need advice, we share experiences.

Yesterday we both found ourselves feeling a little down in the homeschooling arena
and maybe a little short with our sweet children.

Right as we were talking through some hard things in our lives, 
I happen to read this thought by Lisa TerKeurst~
"When to give grace? I'd rather stand before God knowing I loved others too much 
than regretting that I judged too harshly."

I was immediately convicted of more orders and corrections than gentle words and hugs... 
sometimes life just becomes a big management game instead of growing hearts.
{Yes, the name of my blog!}

Today I woke up and spent my quiet time praying God would just give me second by second
what I needed for my day and what my children needed for their day too.
HE gave me the word Whimsical...

1. Why Whimsical Wednesday? because God lead me to it~



After reading a few books together, I asked the kids if they had ever heard this word.
EK had on a show. :)
We looked it up with Siri and she said, "Determined by chance or impulse or whim 
rather than by necessity or reason."
Okay!
On a whim, I asked the kids what they wanted to READ and they picked these three~

2. Why Whimsical Wednesday? because my children need to experience a whim~
We decided for our day we would each Read, Write, and do Math.
As they chose their books to read in their chosen reading spot,
I went to each one and asked what I could read to JUST them... THRILLED!

The bitties chose bunny books, EK science, and the rest follows~
 Beautiful stories flowed out of them into their journals too and math was a breeze!

I just have to share a WONDERFUL podcast I have learned so much from...
Read Aloud Revival... it's NOT just for homeschooling families!
Go check it out!!!

3. Why Whimsical Wednesday? because I needed it just as much as they did~
{Sorry there are only photos of the girls... the boys were always where I was not:}
Everyone loved being on a whim freely choosing what their heart desired
and I was able to read myself a book I have been aching to read: Simplicity Parenting~

A few "Whimsical" I quotes read~

~"By simplifying, we protect the environment for childhood's slow, essential unfolding of self."

~"Our society- with its pressures of "too much"- is waging an undeclared war of childhood."

~"The pace of our daily lives is increasingly misaligned with the pace of childhood."

~"A protected childhood allows for the slow development of identity, well-being, and resiliency."

~"Like any work of art, families need inspiration, fresh infusions of hope, and imagination."

~"Our daily lives can become disconnected from the hopes and dreams we hold for our family."

~"Simplification signals a change, a realignment of our hopes and our everyday lives."

~"Too much stuff lead to too little time and too little depth in the way kids see and explore their worlds."

~"Stress can push children along the behavioral spectrum. When you simplify a child's life on a number of levels, back they come."

OKAY... I could go on and on but I think you get the picture... 
or let me give you a picture~
Last evening I sat on the breezeway listening to the shrieks of laughter and joy
coming from our children playing in the backyard as the sun set.

There is NO greater gift we can give our children than a beautiful childhood
and time just playing outside.

Anyone care to share a Whimsical thought...





2 comments:

  1. Love you sweet friend!!!!! Good homeschool day and just a good day enjoying Gods gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Shay...I needed this post so much today! As we are in the midst of the longest winter and ugliest beginning to spring ever up in the Northeast, I admit that I keep dreaming of sending all the kids to school...because I want MY space. But deep down, I know that home is where they ache to be. God, give us YOUR heart to SLOW down and BREATHE LIFE into our kids...YOUR life, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete